Learn More About The Emergency Clinic
The Emergency Clinic offers comprehensive emergency medical care services to the residents of Texas. We have three convenient locations – Alamo Heights, La Vernia and by The Pearl. You can count on our highly experienced doctors, nurses and technicians to provide high-quality medical care. We have a physician on-site 24-hours-of-the-day and seven-days-a-week.
- This is a Freestanding Emergency Medical Care Facility
- This facility charges rates comparable to a hospital Emergency Room and may charge a facility fee
- This facility or physician providing medical care at this facility may not be a participating provider in your Health Benefit Plan provider network
- A physician providing medical care at this facility may bill separately from the facility for the medical care provided to you
- We are a participating provider with Multiplan and PHCS which provides in-network claims processing for hundreds of different insurance plans. If we are not in-network with your particular health plan, Federal law requires insurance companies to process your ER visit at the in-network benefit level.
- We are not yet recognized by Medicare, Medicaid, or Tricare. If you would like to assist us in being able to accept these insurance plans, please contact your legislators.
Dr. Michael Magoon, Emergency Physician
Dr. Michael Magoon is board certified by the American Board of Emergency Medicine and has more than 20 years of experience working in the field of emergency medicine. He has been accepted as a fellow in The American College of Emergency Physicians and The American Academy of Emergency Medicine. Dr. Magoon has previously worked at Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center, Brooke Army Trauma Center, Baptist and Methodist Emergency Departments and the Shannon West Texas Trauma Center in San Angelo.
Dr. Magoon graduated in Physiology with great distinction from the Michigan State University and he completed his Medical Doctorate at Wayne State University in Detroit. After completing an Internship at the renowned Detroit Medical Center, Dr. Magoon trained in emergency medicine at Brooke Army-Wilford Hall in San Antonio. Subsequently, he completed the UT Southwestern Teaching Fellowship and taught emergency medicine at Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center. While in the Air Force, Dr. Magoon was recognized as one of two worldwide subject matter experts in emergency medicine.
Dr. Magoon has extensive experience in pre-hospital care including training with Counter Narcotics Task Force in Washington DC and the National Association of EMS Physicians. He served as the Medical Director for Lackland AFB EMS and as the Assistant Medical Director for the San Antonio AirLife Helicopter Rescue program. Mike has taught emergency medicine and pre-hospital care to medical residents, paramedics, flight nurses, PAs and nurses.
The Magoon’s family has lived in San Antonio since 1990 and has made their home in Alamo Heights. That is where they opened the Alamo Heights Minor Emergency Clinic in 2007. This clinic was recognized by the San Antonio Magazine as the Best Minor Emergency Clinic, the same year.
- Texas Super Doctor (recognized as top 3% of physicians) every year 2012-2018.
- SA Scene – Best ER doc and Best General Practice doc in San Antonio 2014-2018.
- SA Magazine named Best ER doc 2013-16
- International Association Of Emergency Medicine recognized as a “Leading Physician Of the World 2018”
Dr. Guillory, Emergency Physician
Dr. Guillory is board certified by the American Board of Emergency Medicine and has served the San Antonio community for over 10 years. He graduated with distinction from the Baylor University and received his medical degree from UT Southwestern Medical School in Dallas, TX. He completed residency training in emergency medicine at UT Southwestern’s Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, TX.
After completing his medical training in 2004, Dr. Guillory moved to the La Vernia area and began his clinical practice in the emergency departments of the Baptist Health System. He continues caring for the often critically ill at Baptist Medical Center in downtown San Antonio till date. He joined Dr. Magoon at The Emergency Clinic Alamo Heights, formerly known as Alamo Heights Minor Emergency Clinic in 2007.
- SA SCENE – Top Emergency Physician 2018
Stephen Clare, Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
Stephen Clare grew up in San Antonio, Texas. He graduated from Baylor University with a Bachelor of Science in Biology in 1994. He then received his Bachelor of Science in Nursing from the University of Incarnate Word in 1998. In 2004, Clare received a Master in Business Administration with an emphasis in healthcare from the Walden University. He then received a Masters in Nursing with a focus in Family, Emergency and Acute Care from the University of Alabama in 2010.
With a long-storied career in various emergency departments, Clare has had the opportunity to serve the San Antonio community since 1998. Clare also has the privilege of working closely with production companies and takes care of entertainers and their support crew.
Clare is nationally certified by the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners. He is certified in Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Pediatric Advanced Life Support and Basic Life Support.